Sunday, April 15, 2012

It takes a village

I spent the day yesterday at my alma mater, Lenoir-Rhyne University. It was good to see old friends, some I haven't seen since graduation which unbelievably was 33 years ago! In prep for going, I was asked to answer the following question:

What did being an LR student mean to you; how does that differ or compare to how it feels to be an alum? I wrote the following in reply:

I am a late bloomer. I did not want to go to college, especially to LR where at least a dozen members of my family had attended. Dad and Mom said I could attend any college in the world, but they were paying at Lenoir-Rhyne. Since I was not smart enough or athletic enough to go elsewhere on my own merit, I grudgingly came on to LR. I was in such a hurry to get our that I started in summer school within weeks of high school graduation, attended summer school every summer, and finished in three years. I had fun and did what was required. I couldn’t help but receive a solid foundation from faculty, staff, and fellow students, though I did not appreciate or understand it at the time. Thirty-three years later, I realize how much I learned, how much I appreciate my parents and university for supporting me, and how proud I am to tell people I am an LR graduate!

End of my submission.

It took a village to get me to school and through school. 33 years later it still takes a village. My wife Cheryl is now the Mayor of my village. If it wasn't for her I doubt I'd be here, and certainly wouldn't get beyond the walls of my office and my house. The old village is still on the job: my parents, Lenoir-Rhyne, etc. They have been joined not only by Cheryl, but our daughters and grands, 1400 LSA/LFS fellow staffers, the whole LFS/LSA family, and many more. It still takes a village, now a bigger village. My thanks to each of you!

Who is your village? Have you thanked them today? And are you doing your part as someone else's village? The village image is very close to our elderhood image: everyone has something to give, we all have something to receive. Village and elder, get connected to your system today!

No comments:

Post a Comment